Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ludwig Van Beethoven: Symphony Number 7, in A


Several years ago, I had to prepare a speech for my Toastmaster's club that summarized my life  experiences.  At first it was daunting—how could I make myself sound  humble and
interesting at the same time?  But this turned out to be a  valuable exercise, because it revealed to me a pattern in my life that I had never noticed before.  I summed up that pattern by naming my  speech: "When The Student Is Ready."

The title comes from the Japanese saying, "When the student is ready the Buddha will appear." The origin of the word Buddha means "to wake  up" and people think of the Buddha as a great teacher.  And what is a  great teacher but someone who wakes you up? Why this is important to me  is because—while preparing for that speech—I realized that I've always been a student, and whenever I most needed it, a person has appeared to either teach me or point me in the right direction.

The Buddhas who taught me about classical music are numerous and after my friend Kerry Wade came an entire family, the Mankowski's. whom I presented in yesterday's entry.   Mr. Mankowski would sit in his comfy chair in  the living room, champing a cigar, listening to a symphony.  Every once  in a while he would look up from his book to read aloud a humorous  passage from Ring Lardner or S.J. Perlman or to quote a James Thurber  cartoon.  One time I arrived to find the whole household in an uproar.    The Mary Tyler Moore show, a '70 American sitcom, had depicted a dinner  party in which one of the characters raised a glass of wine and said  "It's a naive domestic Burgundy, without any
breeding, but I'm sure  you'll be amused by its presumption."  The Mankowskis weren't enraged by  the use of the quote, but rather that the writers hadn't attributed it  to James Thurber, who had created it as the captions of one of his cartoons in the New Yorker.

Paul Mankowski, a year my senior, and I once went to see the John Borman film, "Zardoz." This film was a kind of anti-intellectual and anti-bourgeois, post-apocalyptic morality play.  Kind of like "If . . ." but with more sex and Sean Connery.  In one scene, a huge stone head  comes floating down from the sky accompanied by a somber, almost  funereal piece of music.  "Beethoven," Paul leaned over and whispered.  "Seventh Symphony.  Second Movement."  Some days later, I bought a recording of the  symphony by The Chicago Symphony, conducted by Fritz Reiner.  It remains  one of my favorite symphonies by Beethoven.

The liner notes called this work "The Dance Symphony," which might go back to Wagner referring to it as  "the apotheoisis of the dance."  For  me, the association with dance goes back to an early '70s movie that was  shown on T.V. around the time I first heard it.  The film was "The  Loves of Isadora," which starred Vanessa Redgrave. I had first heard of  the dancer, Isadora Duncan, from my friend Kerry Wade, who told me she  had been killed on the island of Capri while riding in a Bugatti (Kerry  was an antique car enthusiast.)  It seems that Duncan had a fondness for  flowing scarves and while riding in a small convertible her neckwear  became entangled in the wire spokes of the rear wheel and it snapped her  neck.  The film depicted this event in rather disturbingly graphic  detail.  In another kitschy touch, they showed Redgrave flitting about  on stage doing an interpretive dance to Beethoven's Seventh.

The Seventh sparked much florid prose by its enthusiastic supporters, among whom Schumann, Wagner, and even Karl Marx.  Some read into the piece  depictions of
gay peasant dances, revolution, orgiastic bacchanlias,  flowering meadows, and the jubilant voices of children.  Even Beethoven found this really too much and he said, if writers needed to explain his  work to the public,"they should be confined to characterizations of the  composition in general terms, which could easily and correctly be done  by any educated musician."

In  truth one would have to be pretty callous to listen this music and not  feel good.  True, the second movement does sound almost funereal,  starting out with ominous low strokes by the string basses.  This was  perfect music for a brooding adolescent boy with acne.  However that  movement ends on an optimistic note and is followed by one of the most  exuberant pieces Beethoven ever wrote.

Maybe that is why Beethoven is  so great, he takes you into the dark depths of sorrow, but he then leads  you out safely into the light.

In the the 38 years since my high school days, I gradually lost touch  with the Mankowsi Buddhas.  The last I heard of Paul, he had become a Jesuit and worked with Mother Teresa in India preparing people to die.   One of his sisters went on to become a doctor. Their lessons live on in  me, though, every time I hear this great, great symphony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers